Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Serenity Bag

I decided to finish a bag, instead of fighting with the hats. So I present my finished Texture Magic Bag.
This is my teenage daughter, I made her come outside and be my model. She drapped the bag across her chest.
The bag is made from the Serenity Bag pattern by Annie. My bag doesn't have the fancy curve
on the front, because I was a ditz and forgot to flip the pattern to cut the lining. So my lining and my textured flap didn't match. I just cut off the curve. Hah now they match (take that curve) hah.












The lining fabric is a Moda fabric, I got at the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo in Minneapolis last November. The bundle came with three fabrics of 1 yard each. I needed a chocolate fabric for a project for a baby announcement. I just tucked the remaining piece and the rest in a stash drawer. I took a class and made the purse insert and used the Moda pattern/paisey-ish and the coordinating pink.
Watch out for playing with Texture Magic, you might use up all your fabric playing and have to run around town looking for coordinating fabric. Ask me how I know. Good thing I bought two packages of Texture Magic.
I tried Annie's tip and used Headliner foam instead of Pellon or Timtex. How cool. I had to watch and make sure the sewing machine didn't eat or suck the foam into the needle hole of the throat plate. I like how the bag has firmness, without the weight. The foam was easy to cut with scissors or my rotary cutter. I just pushed down on my ruler to hold it and cut. I bought two yards of the foam to play with. I like the handle, it's soft. I was worried about how the foam would handle turning the bag inside out, but it was easier than Timtex. Timtex is stiff, and the foam was mildly bulky.
I always change a pattern, in my mind for the next time I make one.
1. add more pockets (always want more pockets)
2. Trim the foam more, there is bulk in the seam areas, my fault.
3. Follow the directions this time. I didn't leave the opening in the lining, but then left the opening in the opening of the bag on the front to turn the bag. Next time leave more space.
I bought more patterns from Annie to make a computer bag and a scripture/book bag.
I also bought her Christmas Stocking for Texture Magic. I like the texture, but all the sewing makes me feel like I'm quilting.

10 comments:

  1. It's great! That's an interesting tip about using headliner foam. Nice finish:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely bag. I haven't seen many people using that textured magic. You chose a good project for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely purse! No one would know you had any trouble with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Love all those pockets. You can never have to many. It makes for a more organized bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lining is a nice surprise from the solid exterior. Can't wait to see all your Sew & Tell's. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely bag and so practical with those pockets. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! The lining fabric is great!

    ReplyDelete