Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fabric heaven

Friday afternoon, my girl friend drove down to Minneapolis with my daughter. My Daughter had a seminar at the U of M about the MCAT (Med school ACT). WHile she was learning we went in search for a fabric outlet I found on the internet. SR Harris http://www.srharrisfabric.com/. After much going in circles, my friend can't read a map and I can't read and drive on an Interstate, we finally found it. This place was fabric heaven. I was in search of Ultrasuede. Anita Goodesign http://www.anita-goodesign.com/ has a couple of great in the hoop embroidery design CDs, that use Ultrasuede. Ultrasuede does not ravel, so you can leave the edges raw.

A few weeks ago I took a class using the designs to make checkbook covers, etc. So I bought a bunch of remanents. Each piece was 3/4 to 1 3/4 yds for $10 a yard. I was happy, it still makes me want to do the happy fabric dance.
I bought 11 remanents, two black. I makes me was to pet them and sew like a wild woman.

I also bought nice piece of decorator fabric, marroon, with beige flowers, for tote bag linings. I should have the direction for my simple tote bag up as a tutorial soon. I fold the lining to form some of the inner pockets. Everybody else cuts and makes patch pockets.

So now is the hard part to figure out what to sew on each color, I have the tutorial from Embroidery library to make notebook covers, but I want to add pencil pockets. I might have to make my own tutorial. The Emb Lib's tutorial makes it easy to mark and figure out where to embroider a design on the cover and maybe on an inner pocket. I have the CD with the in the hoop designs. Where oh where to start (petting the fabric of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment