Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Scrub Caps

My husband is a physician.  A few years ago I made a scrub cap as a gift for a friend.  The friend liked it so much he worn it immediately and was showing it off to his co-workers.  Because the Husband can’t dress up for Halloween, he thought it would be cool if I made he and his co-workers scrub caps out of pirate fabric for Halloween.

Last Year Because of my surgery I didn’t make the caps.  On Halloween morning, the co-workers were rummaging in my husband’s desk looking for the new caps.  Very disappointed, the each pulled out old ones and wore them instead.  So this year, I picked a spider and spider web fabric.


Over one week I made 24 scrub caps. 

Day One, I cut four yards of fabric, using Butterick pattern #4946.


Throughout this process, I used assembly line sewing.  I had two fabric boxes one on each side of me on the floor. Pull out a pinned cap from my left, sew the cap, and drop the cap in the next box on my right.
 
Day Two: I pinned the crown to the tops while watching a movie with one of my grand-daughters.

Day Three:  I basted the crown (front) to the top. 
 
 
Day Four:  I used the serger and serged the crown to the top, then the back and across the front.
Day Five: I made 48 straps.  Using the Bias Tape machine made it faster, than ironing each strap.
Day Six: I hemmed the back of all 24 caps. Then I pinned the straps into the front hem.
Day Seven:  I hemmed the front securing the straps in.  
I can make a single cap in about 30 minutes, but 24 caps took me eight hours.
All packed and ready.  24 caps ready for Halloween eight weeks early, Whoo Hoo!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment