Friday, September 27, 2013

Quilted Carryall

The middle daughter and I saw this great tote bag while on the way to the Twin Cities.  We sketched it out and then tried to measure it without the owner knowing, based on the size and location at the booth in McDonald's.  It had tons of pockets.  A Busy mom of three needs lots of pockets.

The daughter went out and bought fabric for the bag, but she bought a knit/rayon, not a cotton.  The stretch took me a bit, but after a few tries, that didn't work.  I found the perfect pattern.

After a few days of cutting and quilting I had my first Quilted Carryall. 
The directions were pretty good, it had you cut out each section and then you quilt each section
After all the quilting, you cut each section down to the finished dimensions (This where I had a problem).  The amount I cut off was a lot.  Next time I make one I will start with smaller sections, closer to the finished dimensions. 

Next you attach the binding to the pockets. Then you begin to sew each panel to the next one.
 

A new technique I had not tried was using web belting as binding for the top edges, it  held the zipper band to the top and captured the web belt straps in place.  I really liked how the zipper band worked out. 

This is the finished bag.  I found if I labeled each section, with a pinned on Post-It-Note, it was easier to figure out what part was what. 
My favorite part was the size and all the pockets, there are eight pockets inside and eight on the outside.  The end pocket you can see in the last picture held my big 32 ounce water bottle.  The bag stood on it's own because I used two layers of duck cloth and the fashion fabric, stray basted together with the batting.   I did lengthen the straps, I hate short straps holding my bag up under my arm to high.  You know when you wear a bulky winter coat in northern Minnesota, the extra three-four inches of a strap is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment