Sunday, July 10, 2011

Minnesota Nice or Mom Syndrome Day 5 SLC

Today started out pretty much on target with the plan.  Get up eat breakfast, meet June to walk over to watch the Broadcast of "The Spoken Word" a weekly broadcast of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The choir was awesome.
 As we walked out of the Convention Center and was greeted by Sister Missionaries who announced in their different languages that they are available to show us around Temple Square and share about the Church.
June and I walked to the Joseph Smith Building and attended church. The chapel was beautiful.
Afterward I changed into jeans and drove to the airport.  The gate got changed after I had been sitting there reading for awhile. At the new gate, the flight was delayed. Turned out that the incoming flight was delayed due to mechanical issues. Delta replaced the plane with a smaller plane, so then our flight was overbooked. They called for volunteers to give up their seats and got a few volunteers, very slowly.  As they were getting ready for boarding, I got called up because they need to give me a new seat assignment.

The Mom Syndrome
The young girl behind me didn't get a seat assignment. She looked like she was gonna cry because she wouldn't have a ride home from Nashville if she wasn't on this flight.

The Mom in me wanted to take care of her.  The counter people were gonna try anything to get her to Nashville, but everything even routing her through Seattle to Atlanta to Nashville was leaving her without a ride home.  Delta needs more flights into Nashville, there is only one per day direct from Salt Lake City to Nashville.  My plans are flexible enough, so I stepped up and gave up my seat. 

Delta gave me a $400 voucher for a future flight, a hotel and meal vouchers. They upgraded me on tomorrow's flight.  The girls behind the counter even gave me a toothbrush/overnight kit for tonight, because my luggage was on the plane already.  Waiting for the shuttle to the hotel, I called my hotel, rental car and my folks. Then I called the Hubby.   He just laughed, because we had been talking on the phone when they called the first time for volunteers, I think he knew I was going to end up giving up my seat. 

The young girl kept saying she didn't know how to thank me.  I think she did a pretty good job.  Hopefully she will pay it forward someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment