Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 3 Salt Lake City

Good day for doing genealogy.  Every day is a good day for genealogy.  This morning's conference sessions were about Prussia  and Polish research.  I attended the first session on Using the EWZ micofilms, the EWZ was the German immigrant tracking system for moving the ethnic Germans back to the father land in front of the german army in WWII. The amount of detail including photos from 1939-1946 is amazing.  The genealogy that was included is great for us, but had an ugly cast to it. If you were Jewish or Polish, even if your were german jewish you were not transferred. The German government only wanted Pure Germans.
Because I don't have any Polish and Prussian ancestry, I went to the Family History Library at 10:00. I had a list of a few books on Croatian Immigration to America I wanted to look at.  I made a few copies of some pages from each. Then I went back down to the International Floor.  I had my one-on-one consultation, this afternoon.  Dr Edlund, a professor at BYU in Eastern Eurpean genealogy helped me narrow down one of my villages, the county and the district.  Then we found the Evangelical Lutheran church.  It sounds so easy, but it took us an hour.  The first village is so small it wasn't in the gazetteer for Hungary. My village used to be in Hungary in 1890's.

Then I pulled my first microfilm from the drawer and began the very slow process of looking for my surnames. Guess What??  I found one, while I'm not sure if this is my guy.  This tells me that I found the right film.

Look how pretty the surname is. The handwritting is lovely.  I can't figure out what it says yet, but I will soon.

About 4:30, my stomach was protesting that it was hungry. I rode the Trax again to Appleby's for an early dinner and then past Temple Square on the way back. I walked back and strolled through Deseret Books. I was looking for T-shirts for the kids, but they didn't have any t-shirts.  But check out the cool bronze statue.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment