Sunday, September 26, 2010

Well I'm packed and ready to go.

Yesterday my husband traded me time to bake potato rolls for helping me hook up the tow dolly and load the car.  I made three batches of rolls, for a BBQ at one of his co-workers. Every time we go to a cookout or a holiday dinner I get "Can Carol bring rolls?"  I'm wondering if my Husband is not starting it and they just agree.

The first batch didn't seem to want to rise, so I warmed up the oven under the bowl and placed it closer to the vent.  Twenty minutes later we were ready to roll out the dough. I should have taken pictures, of my three big bowls rising on top the stove. I make a batch and set the timer, then make a batch and set the second timer. This gives me 10 minutes between to roll out the first batch til the second batch is ready. The three bowls or batches gave me five tinfoil trays of rolls.  Each try has 20 rolls in them. 

I left one tray at home to be nibbled on and took the other four to the BBQ.  One of the youngsters was sneaking rolls, when he thought no one was looking.  I had given his Mom the recipe, but telling someone that they take 3 hours to make, slows them down.  The dough rises twice for an hour each (2 hours).  Mixing takes 15 and baking takes 25 minutes.

Between I packed my sewing machine and I hope everything I'll need for the Conference.  I packed my laptop and digitizing work to bring with.  I packed my audio books, and muchines.  The Hubby helped me load up the son's car with all that he wants me to bring him.

POTATO ROLLS



1 Tablespoon Yeast

1 Tablespoon Sugar

½ Cup lukewarm water


· Mix together and set aside. To speed the yeast activation set over a bowl of hot water.



1 Cup scalded milk or canned evaporated milk, (Dry milk – reconstituted)

1 Cup hot potatoes (can use reconstituted potato pearls or potato flakes)

2 Teaspoons salt

½ Cup margarine

½ Cup sugar



· Mix above ingredients and let cool until lukewarm

· Add 2 eggs and yeast mixture

· Knead in 5-6 cups flour (2 cups at a time) until not sticky (Can use Kitchaid or Bosch mixer).

· Cover and set aside to rise (double the size) for 1 hour

Rises faster in a warm place/close to warm oven

· Mix down and roll out to about ½ inch thick. Cut out rolls, with circle cutter or glass.

· Place in pan (touching) (20 to pan). Set aside to rise (double the size) for 1 hour

· Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown

· While rolls are hot butter the tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment