Friday, June 24, 2011

15, 30, and 60 minute sewing

Today was kind of crazy, but I was determined not to waste even small bits of time.  So I broken the sewing steps into small time blocks. I decided to work on the half finished scrubs caps that were in the pile on my sewing table.
First thing I did was to cut my 1 1/2 inch fabric strips for the ties, 15 minutes.

Next block of time was to run the fabric through my bias tape machine.  I watched a bunch of different directions for how to use this machine. I read and re-read the directions.  This is my method.
Step 1.  Clip the end of the fabric strip into a point. Turn on machine wait for light to turn green.
Step 2. Feed the end of the fabric into the tip. I use a pin to nudge the fabric through the tip, until you have 3 inches sticking out the end.

Step 3.  Lift the heating lid off the heating element. Place the tip back into place.  replace heating lid and hold for count of 5.

Step 3. Lift heating lid again. be careful and pull fabric tip until the end is over the roller. Replace the heating lid and count to 5.

Step 4. Press the Run button, until finished. Press Run button to end. 20 minutes.

Step 5. Fold in ends and then fold the length in half and sew.
After the Schwan man left and I did some house chores, I had 60 minutes to sew ties

 I have a great clear presser foot that actually allows the fabric tie to run right between the side runners of the foot.  I use this foot more often than any other foot, because the side runners are 1/4 inch. If I put the needle in the center of the foot it is 1/2 inch. My favorite part is that I can see where I am and where I'm going. 
Finished pile of tie straps.
Then after running errands, I got to sew some more.60 minutes.
I added the straps to the cap. Yesterday I had 30 minutes to sew so I serged the edge of the front of the cap. Today, I turned the serged edge up and pinned a ties to each end of the hem. I finished 9 of the 20 scrub caps, before the Hubby called saying he was on the way home from work.  I pinned and sewed as I went along. I think if I had taken the time to pin all 20 caps, the actually sewing time would have been reduced to 30 minutes.
That left me with a pile of finished caps on the right and a pile of caps ready to have the hem pinned, while I watch TV tonight. Of course after I finish writing this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment