Friday, January 22, 2010

Friday Sew and Tell

Sewing for Sarah. Love this new Embroidery designer, she's my kind of girl.
This is one of her In the Hoop designs. It's a crayon purse done totally in the 5 x 7 hoop of my embroidery machine. Love it. It took only 10 minutes. Because while the design says 10 color changes, the color changes are really only there as stops. So you hoop a cutaway stabilizer and lay a piece of your cute kid fabric over the stabilizer and sew step one, then you place the second fabric and it stitches the pocket down, then the third stitch is for the crayon dividers. the fourth color is for the back pocket placement.

Then you place the pocket fabric and it stitches it in place. NOTE: Tape down the top edge of the pocket so the embroidery foot doesn't get caught in the pocket. I used blue tape across the fold. then you stitch the ribbon placement, place the ribbon, twice once for each side (color 6-9). Ten you pin the ribbon in the center of the bag, I tucked it in the pocket. Place your final fabric and stitch the last outline. Unhoop, trim the corners and seams, turn and slip stitch the bottom shut. Add crayons and a 4 x 6 notebook and off your little one goes. I need to run to the dollar store and get crayons and notebooks.

I think I'm going to make a bunch of these for church and give them away. I may send some to my brother, Sheriff's deputy to have in the squad cars and maybe the Women's shelter. I can use up all the odds and ends of fabric I have and inherited from my Mom.

Holding up and behind the purse is my scraps, thread clippings bowl. I bought it years ago at a goodwill store. Under the purse is the next crayon bag, love the colorful frogs, ready to cut out. I bought more designs from Sewing with Sarah, will have to try them out.

See what AmyLouWho is showing off for Sew and Tell Friday.

11 comments:

  1. What a fun little project, and so practical! Love that pink fabric, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet is this? thanks for sharing it with us, you did an exellent job!

    fabulous friday finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great use of the embroidery machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute project. You did a very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. REally pretty project. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I wish I wasn't such a visual learner. It looks great and I so wish I could make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow sounds so easy. These would make excellent little gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great design! You make it sound so easy, too. Love projects like that! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very fun project. Great job!

    ReplyDelete