Wednesday, May 20, 2009

new machine tomorrow

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow. Can you hear me singing? Actually I hope not, I can't carry a tune for beans.

I get my new machine tomorrow. I'm so excited. I just can't stand it. I got the call around 1030 this morning that the machine was in Grand Rapids. I had my nail appointment and then we have a dinner thing tonight with the Hubby's new partner and his wife. Grand Rapids, Mn is about an hour and a half to get there. So I couldn't go today. The new machine is the Babylock Professional, with the current package deal, I got 2 of each of the hoops. Which is one extra of each hoop. While I've been impatiently waiting, I've been downloading and adding fonts to my software. I'm looking for a font to match the one for the ball caps. Plus I needed one that looked like wood for a digitizing job for a muzzle loading club (rifle). This is the sketch of the design.

The lettering looks like wood branches. I finished the Dakota territory which is the background and the tree stump. I sketched out the coon cap, the powder bag and the ax. I need to merge them and add them in the right places. I need to pull out my light box and sketch out the rifle. Then I will add the lettering last.

I found a nice wood branch like font on 1001 Fonts.


I can add fonts from the Internet to my software, but you learn really quickly which type of font does not work as a good embroidery. Simple clean lines, not all jerky and bloppy. Yes Bloppy is a word in my house. It's kinda of blobby,blochy and sloppy all at once. When I first started adding fonts, I did not print off a copy of the added font, which is a pain when you need to know if the font is Caps only or does it include "(" or even commas and periods. Fonts are often called true type fonts (*.ttf files).

How to add fonts. So you download the font, I save all my downloads to a folder in My documents. I virus scan them. Open the zip file with Winzip and in the folder is a file with an extension of ttf. I grab that file, drag and drop the file into c:/windows/fonts folder. I can use the font in any windows based program like Word or Powerpoint. But not Blogger. Once I've done this I can use the Quick Font Tool in my software to add each font to the folder My Fonts.

Example of bad fonts: Parry Hotter. It looks good on the web and in Word, but the software didn't like it. I found another similar font, just like for Harry Potter, which is very cool. I have fonts that are the Disney font, the CocaCola font, and scary fonts.

The Dakota Territory is going to be appliqued on. So that was easy. I traced the territory in my design software and colored in the center. Then exported the design to be imported into the embroidery software. I told the software how I wanted the stitches to run. For example: Single stitch to mark the layout. Then you lay your fabric on top, then it stitched the outline again, then you trim the fabric to the edges and then the machine embroiders a satin stitch around the edges. Love the automatic etup of my software. I can also add tack down stitches or just run one set of outline stitches. I like the two sets, when I use applique. It allows you to trim tight to the edge of the stitching and prevents cutting the shape being to small.

Okay back to adding fonts to my software. I need to try and stitch out the snow covered font for my banner again. I have some fleece pieces, maybe blue thread on cream or white fleece. Hmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment