Friday, April 17, 2009

Low-Sew Boutique

I got a new book called Low Sew boutique, by Cheryl Weiderspahn from Homestead Specialties. In this great book, Cheryl used home linens to make purses, bags and things. I love how she uses place mats to make a simple elegant clutch purse. I thought I was the smart one and invented this idea a year ago. But No, not my luck. I made a couple of organizers for all my cords in my laptop backpack/bag. I switch back and forth from my backpack to the tote bag.
I found these nice green place mats at the Dollar Tree. But they only had two. So a simple fold and sew up a couple pockets. The one on the left holds my power cord with the power brick, the place mat was folded mitered end to mitered end-ish . The two pictures on the right are an outside and inside shot of my misc cord controller. I have an network cord, a cord for my camera, an USB extension cord and a cord to connect my iPod to a car stereo. I just folded the place mat, pressed it and marked different size pockets for the different cords, then opened it up and sewed on a piece of Velcro, the attached the other half of the Velcro to a piece of matching ribbon, the sewed the ribbon in the seam and sewed all the pockets with a strong triple stitch. Waa Laa.
I found the book on Nancy's Notions in the clearance books. I've used my hardware store to find snap key rings, but Cheryl used kitchen door/dresser drawer handles as handles in the book, how cute is that. I liked that she points out that the screws that come with the handle are going to be too long and she tells you which ones to get and don't forget to grab a metal bracket for the back to reinforce the handle sandwiching the fabric between the handle and the bracket.
So today I had to go to Target and get something I forgot in the bridal baby shower frenzy of this weekend. I checked out the place mats. I liked a few, but I'm the recycle kinda girl. I'll check the thrift stores in town next week and my linen closet first. I also made two more of these type organizers for a friend she uses one as a makeup brush case. She picked the deep burgundy red ones. I did no sewing today, because it's bills paying day and wrapping presents day.
So if you are looking for a quick gift to whip up this book is for you. I want to make the shoe case for my luggage. Anyway back to Target, they have the discount bins at the front of the store with kiddy stuff. One of the bins had cheap dog leashes. I thought they were a dollar, but they turned out to be 50 cents. Score. The leashes had on them the small snap key rings, minus the key ring part, but I have a ton of key rings. I bought 5, but I think I need to go back and clean of the bin. The Dollar Tree also had these type leashes and collars. When I buy the snap key rings they run me 2.50 to 3.00 each. The ones I used for the luggage tags where way to big for the wristlets. The leash part will make good straps for the kid messenger bags I want to make for the grandkids.
I also got mail today - three patterns from one of the quilt places in Vegas. I called and ordered stuff over the phone. I got the pattern for the Quilter's Go & Sew wallet like organiser. Plus I scored two applique wall hangings/quilt designs by Needlesongs. I got the Dragon in the Wind and the Pirate Skull. I should have ordered the Princess one too. One grandson and three granddaughters. I think I can down size the pirate skull for the messenger bag for Halloween. I can always us a coloring book princess design for the girls. Hmmmm

1 comment:

  1. HI :)))) You've won the giveaway at Cotton Spice! Email me with your address - editor@cottonspice.com

    ReplyDelete