Tuesday, August 10, 2010

CTR and Scriptures


I began to draft a new Scripture bag. Sunday I found my youth to give the new case to. I find it's easier to have someone in mind to make a bag. Christian turned 8 this summer and needs a new bag, I had been wanting to make him one. So I asked him Mom, and she asked him his favorite color. He is Autistic, so lots of textures. So today I cut out the pieces and embroidered his name in primary colors and then I put the letters CTR together from a puzzle alphabet. The puzzle is the autistic symbol, like a pink ribbon is for breast cancer.
The puzzle alphabet had the letters filled in, but I decided I liked the look and feel of just the blocks without the lettering filled in. I should have stopped and not stitched out the black border. Because of my putting the pieces together, the border wasn't just right. I also should have used matching thread in the bobbin. The duck cloth holds embroidery, but in a few small spots, you could see white bobbin thread.
CTR stands for the saying, Choose the Right. I liked how this will make this pocket pop. The colors are poppy red, bright blue and daffodil yellow. I'm going to add a Velcro closure to the pocket, to hold his music player. The music in his ear helps him sit for longer times at church and school. So far I like the duck cloth much better than the cordura. I'm debating whether to have the zipper the same as the last bag or long like my hubby's bag, the zipper goes all the way to the bottom of the bag to fold out holding the scriptures.
There is a storm rolling in from the Dakotas and the hubby and I are taking the kids to the movies, so finishing the embroidery and cutting out all the parts fit well for today's project.

4 comments:

  1. OH WOW! He's gonna LOVE IT! You are DA BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, he will love it! I work with students with Autism and know the importance of them feeling a connection to something in order for them to want to use it. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job-don't worry about the bobbin thread..only you can notice that...he will love it...I agree that it is great to make something with a person in mind so you can bring some of their personality into the design.thanks for linking to lush friday.Andrea

    ReplyDelete