Friday, July 31, 2009

finished designs

I finished the wall hanging designs, there will be 4 embroidered blocks 7 x 9. I'm already to stitch the first block out, hooped and all.

I forced myself to do the polo shirt job first today. I even wrote out and printed off an estimate for the work, per shirt. I even included cost per baseball hat and added an option to go with long sleeve polos. I delivered the estimate and two stitched out samples, one for the owner and one for the daughter. The daughter runs the office. Now the hard part is waiting until next week for an answer.

I made a neat little template for laying out the location of the logo and the employee's name on the shirt. It's hard to see but I put holes in center and every inch on the cross hatch. To use the template I line it up with the button placket and using a chalk pencil, mark the center and two holes each direction, then remove the template I connect the dots. I found it is good if I also mark the inside for the shirt, that way as I add stablizer, I put it in the right place, and less waste.


















I had to run a few errands and ended up in Joann's for backing fabric for the wall hanging, stablizer and thread. This sweet pink flowered fabric will be the backing.













I might even make the same fabric be the sashing fabric. Decisions, Decisions.


I have to tell you about this book I got. I got crazy and spent all my crafters choice points at once and got nine books (9) in the mail. Maybe I'll tell you about a book a day.
On the front cover is a table runner with Irises on it. My dishes have Irises on them, so I'm gonna make placemats. But because I don't want to hand stitch all the pieces for the placemat, I'm going to practice my skills and have the embroidery machine applique the pieces down.
Uffta, time to go cook. (Uffta is a Norweigian phrase that has no real definition) My definition is that uffta means "Ohy M God". Because you use it the same way, with that inflection. Okay gotta cook.

1 comment:

  1. Uffta! My grandmother was Norweigian, and she used that word quite liberally. As a child and an adult, I took her use of it to communicate a sense of mild disdain for something, as in holding the fabric of a dress, and saying "Uffta! Is this the best you've got?" She was a strong woman, a bit intimidating, and she had a successful knitting shop in Jackson Heights, NY (I think it's part of Queens). Her husband was a renowned ironworker who helped build bridges and highrise buildings in NYC. They retired to a beautiful house on the rocky coast of Maine where I enjoyed many summers. She had great taste, kind of like a Vogue style. She could knit anything just by looking at it, without a pattern. The two of them looked very distinguished and classic, all the way till the end.
    I like your site and look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete